Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Memories from 1957


I am reminded of the importance of photography as I look at old photographs. This one is from a Christmas that I have remembered very vividly throughout the years. When I came upon this the other day, I immediately reflected on my childhood and some of the memories that often come back through smells, pictures, music, and conversation. So many of my childhood memories are in this photograph. We loved cowboy hats and guns and holsters. Both my brother Fred, and brother Jon have new ones on in this picture. It looks like Jon has a new rifle (play one) on his lap. I am holding my brand new Revlon Doll, a gift from my Grandmother Mumm. I will never forget that doll that preceded Barbie. I often go on ebay to look at it. I'm not sure what happened to mine over the years. But I still remember that "new" doll smell, her pearl dropped earrings, beautiful dress, stockings with a seam down the back and high heeled shoes. She was unlike any other doll that I had.
Although my mother probably regretted not having us pick up all of the wrapping paper and boxes before the picture was taken, I am glad now that I have those items to look at. My brother Fred, would always leave a little piece of the wrapping paper on the boxes his gifts came in, particularly the game boxes, this would be a reminder of the wrapping paper it came in.
The picture includes our old Hi Fi set on the right where we would listen to Peter and the Wolf, The Sorcerers Apprentice, songs from Doris Day, Andy Williams,and Bing Crosby.
I can see a little bit of our tree on the left with the old lead tinsel that really sparkled against the glass ornaments and the big multi-colored lights on the tree. we would never think of having an artificial tree. We always went out with Dad to go and chop it down. We used to have a friend who lived on a farm and he would invite us to select any tree from his lot.
What wonderful memories of family and growing up, all found today with this old photograph.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

What a wonderful post, Dorothea! I really enjoyed reading about your childhood Christmas!

Grandpa and Abi said...

Thanks, Kelly. You certainly have been an inspiration to our blogging.